Chapter Player of the Year Update: Chapter Championship Edition
Please click here for updated Player of the Year Standings as of 8/30/20, heading into the Chapter Championship @ TPC Las Vegas 8/31 - 9/1.
Please note these standings include point totals through completion of the Quarterfinal round of the Chapter Match Play Championship. The 4 semifinalists (Church, Edmiston, Fischer and Stanek) in that event currently have their point calculation based on a minimum 4th Place finish in the event. Each has the ability to earn an extra 30, 50 or 80 points depending on the outcome of the semi-final, third-place and final matches.
There are 5 individuals still alive for the Chapter's 2019-20 Player of the Year Title (current point totals in parenthesis):
1. Troy Helseth/Anthem Country Club (707.5)
2. Wes Weston/PGA Life Member (629.9)
3. Jason Edmiston/Las Vegas Country Club (612.4)
4. Tyler Martin/The Summit Club (600.8)
5. Tom Fischer/Paiute Golf Club (476.6)
With double points available at this week's Chapter Championship, here is a brief scenario of each player's path to the season title at this week's event:
1. Troy Helseth/Anthem Country Club (707.5) - The reigning Player of the Year enters the Chapter Championship with a 78 point lead over 2nd place Weston and 107 point lead over 4th place Martin. A 3rd place finish in this week's event would eliminate both Weston and Martin. Where it gets tricky for Helseth is his scenarios vs. 3rd place Edmiston and 5th place Fischer, who are both still alive in the Chapter Match Play Championship and a possible extra 80 points. Any finish by Helseth this week that results in a point differential of greater than 80 points would eliminate Edmiston & Fischer from title contention.
2. Wes Weston/PGA Life Member (629.9) - Weston's path to the title this week includes the following:
- Finish 79 points ahead of Helseth, and no more than 29 points behind 4th place Martin at this week's Chapter Championship.
- Finish this week's event with a final season point total at least 81 points ahead of 3rd place Edmiston and 5th place Fischer, thus nullifying their opportunity to earn an additional 80 points with a Chapter Match Play Championship.
3. Jason Edmiston/Las Vegas Country Club (612.4) - Any finish this week that has Edmiston ahead of Helseth, Weston and Martin, along with at least an 81 point lead over Fischer, gives him the crown. Any finish that has Edmiston within 79 points of the lead keeps him alive pending the conclusion of the Chapter Match Play Championship, and the additional 80 points available for a victory in that event.
4. Tyler Martin/Summit Club (600.8) - Any finish this week that has Martin eliminating his deficits to Helseth and Weston, along with at least an 81 point lead over Edmiston and Fischer, hands the title to him.
5. Tom Fischer/Paiute Golf Club (476.6) - Fischer has already locked up the Senior Division Title, and heads into this week's event, and the conclusion of the Match Play Championship, looking for a sweep in both divisions. However, Fischer cannot lock-up the title this week. Fischer needs to be at least within 79 points of the lead to have any shot at the season-long championship.
Lots of intrigue heading into the Chapter Championship and the conclusion of the Match Play Championship. Good luck to all participants!
Enter your zip code below to search the Southwest Section PGA's database of Professionals in your area.